Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Snow!

Yesterday afternoon, it started snowing. Which is usually fun and exciting for me, but yesterday it was more like chaos. The city went into "Operation Snow" which I think is the lamest name for the snow emergency that was happening. Can't they just call it a Snow Emergency and pick a level of the emergency like 1, 2, or 3? Anyway, Operation Snow means that businesses should allow their employees to voluntarily leave work to get home or pick up their kids or whatever. So pretty much there was a mass exodus from downtown Cincinnati yesterday at 2:30 pm.

I got to my car and let it warm up (because it's also like 15 degrees outside) and then started my departure. By about 2:40 I was at the first stoplight which gets you off campus. I sat at that light for about 5 run throughs because the traffic was so bad. The snow was also falling pretty fast, so crews had no chance to get working on the roads. It took me another 10 minutes to get to the next two lights and then I was on the road that led me to the highway. Now, I contemplated my options. I could stay on the regular roads where there were stoplights and hills. That could take me a long while to get home. But with eveyone on the highway, it could be faster. But I selected the highway. Of course, the line to get on the highway was over 7 blocks long. And for each light cycle, i'd say about 2-3 cars would get through. So I was on that road for probably a half hour to 45 minutes.

When I finally joined the other billion people on the highway, I was certain I had made the wrong decision and should have stayed on the regular streets. The traffic was moving, but it was still slippery and my car was pretty much going everywhere. BUT, there were no hills. When i got off at the exit towards my house, it was crazy. There had been NO snow plows, so it was like 4 inches of snow and i don't have 4 wheel drive so it was pret-ty dicey. But luckily only one hill and one moron who slammed on his brakes at one point which made me slam on my brakes and start sliding...oh the fun. I think the grand total time to get home was around 1 and 1/2 hours. Seriously, that was too long. But I'm glad I left when I did. The highways were still bad at like 9 pm.

The good part of this whole thing was that I got a few hours off of work and I got to sleep in a little this morning. And of course, the pretty pictures were a high point too. Take a look!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Yes!! I love snow! But I cannot & will not drive in it. I'm glad I don't have to. :)

Great pictures!

Nick said...

Yep, that's pretty much what happened here in College Station yesterday. :-) Not really, it got up to 70 degrees.