Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Freedom

Some of you may not have known that Beth and I had someone (I'll call her "C") renting out the downstairs area from us. Well, I am happy to tell you that after approximately 9 months she is finally gone!!!

I didn't really expect to be so excited to have her gone, but you will soon learn why it was a good day when she moved out.

Back in the winter (or possibly last fall) Beth and I decided we would look for someone to rent out the downstairs area of our house. It really did help with bills and fun things we wanted to do... Anyway, we found out that "C", the asst softball coach at Dayton, was interested. No, she is not gay. I know you were thinking she was...softball, living w/two gay women, etc. Easy to assume. So "C" moved in. I refused to call her a roommate because she was never really a friend of ours nor were we really sharing things....or so I thought.

"C" was working out great at first. I think the first thing I noticed that I thought was a little odd was that she seemed to go through guys like toilet paper. Not in a sexual way...she is not that kind of girl, but she definitely used them for a free meal here or there and I think overall just likes being liked. We had a lot of different guys visiting our house to hang out. Fine, but a tad weird.

I also started to notice that "C" liked to leave lights on. She left her light on one time for a whole weekend while she was gone. I was annoyed not only because it's a total waste, but also because that is costing US money. We asked "C" to pay a flat rate to us. I'm sure if we had asked her to split utilities it wouldn't have happened as much.

The next big thing was "C" decided to start training to be in figure competitions. Okay...they are called "figure competitions" but in all reality this is body building. "C" starts eating regimented meals of the same thing every single day. A typical day would be something like this: 4 egg whites for breakfast, protein shake for snack, 4 oz of chicken or fish for lunch with some asparagus, a yam, more protein, an apple and more chicken, more eggs, some spinach. She had to eat some nasty stuff at times. And for the most part, she made or heated up everything in the microwave. I've never seen anyone eat more microwaved stuff in my life.

About that microwave...one time she was heating up some rice...well, I thought she was heating up some rice. Turns out she was actually COOKING rice in the microwave...in a plastic bowl. All of a sudden, I hear "C" fumbling around in the kitchen and I go in there to find that she nearly set the house on fire. Smoke consisting of steam and plastic particles was filling our house and obviously the rice was toast. She also once had a guy over who tried to cook a pizza in our oven with the cardboard circle still under the pizza. Personally, I thought those two were perfect for each other (as long as they didn't procreate). Finally in terms of destroying our stuff, "C" took a break from all the microwave use (mostly because it smelled like burnt something every time we tried to use it) and cooked her eggs like a normal person on the stove. She used our pots/pans (we told her it was okay) but she thought she'd save a dish by eating right out of the skillet. I saw her and told her she shouldn't because the fork would scrape off the teflon. The best part was that she thought I was telling her because I didn't want her to eat the teflon when actually I was telling her because that skillet was expensive!!!

As if this wasn't enough, there were other things that started to happen. "C" wasn't sleeping at night. I think she gets maybe an hour of sleep each night. So she would be hungry constantly and would come up at like 3 in the morning to eat something. She would be banging around, or using the microwave or using the sink...I usually woke up to this every night. ANNOYING. Then, I started noticing she was eating our stuff. She would be eating it late at night when we'd be asleep. The most noticable thing was when I bought some sherbert. I had two scoops out of it, and the next time I checked, it was nearly gone. Beth didn't want the sherbert, so it made it even more obvious that it was her. You could also tell that she had used the tub like it was her own personal bowl. Tiny little spoon marks. And then she leaves like literally one half a spoonful in the tub like I'd really believe I did that and didn't know it. Finally, she eats it all, cleans it out and HIDES it in the recycling bin. I called her out on it and she made some excuse about how she was going to buy some but couldn't find the right kind...you would think after getting called out on it she'd stop. But she even ate out of the new sherbert she bought me.

Probably the most annoying parts for Beth were her bathroom and our bathroom. Her bathroom got cleaned MAYBE once the entire time she lived with us. It was disgusting. The only thing that topped that is Beth's shower "poof." We came back from vacation and Beth's poof smelled like "C"'s body wash, which we never used. Hence we gathered that "C" was not only using our shampoo, soap, etc (because we know she did that too), she was also using Beth's personal poof. That was the beginning of the end.

I was ready for "C" to move out long before Beth was, but we both agreed she needed to have a deadline. We told her in mid May that she had to move out and we gave her TWO MONTHS. Of course, we got to mid July and "C" asked if she could stay the rest of the month. We allowed her to do so, for the money and because she had this job she had applied for that would take her out of Dayton. We were understanding that she didn't want to just move to move again in a short amount of time. So guess what? She asked Beth AGAIN if she could stay a little longer. By this time, I had figured out that "C" is good at manipulating people and/or being sneaky. She had phrased it to Beth as that she would pay for the whole month of August and may not even stay the whole month. But I knew "C" by now. She was going to stay that whole month. She is too cheap to move out if she paid for the whole month. I said she could stay for two weeks and pay the whole month. Beth phrased it to her as "two weeks for full pay"...well, of course she made her own decision about what "full pay" meant and thought we meant half of a month's rent. When Beth clarified, we didn't hear from her again (she was out of town and this was being discussed through text messaging). We assumed she didn't like this agreement. She got back to town and literally started moving her stuff out w/o talking to us...it was a little odd. She told us she found a place to stay w/these guys so we thought all was good and done. Of course not. She dropped off some of her stuff at the new place and found out the guy occasionally smoked pot. He even said if it bothered her that he would smoke outside or whatever. Well, "C" came back to us and was BAWLING outside to Beth. She has lived such a sheltered life... So she decided to pay us a full month's rent for two weeks and FINALLY moved out in mid August. This is why my blog title is FREEDOM. :)

Almost as a post script, one thing was funny in all this. "C" would sometimes forget to flush after she took a dump. Mostly this didn't affect us unless she took a shower because the shower is in our upstairs bathroom. For whatever reason, Beth usually discovered it so I didn't realize how often it was happening. Her shit smelled awful...probably from all the weird food she ate and all the vitamins and pills she was taking. Anyway, Beth told me that when "C" came to move out all her stuff (we were gone at the time), she took one last dump downstairs and forgot to flush....just kind of funny (in a gross way) that it happened. Kind of one last hurrah in our house as she left. Disgusting.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I hope Christine doesnt read your blog.

Brooke said...

Seriously, you have had some weird roommates! What was that girls name that lived with you in Columbia? Do you remember when she came home with Hutch and we thought it was Smitty?? Haha! CRAZY PEOPLE you seem to attract!

Megan said...

Yes, Melissa Everitt. She didn't like us thinking she would hook up with Smitty. Remember how mad she was??

And Christine doesn't read our blog...unless someone shows it to her.