Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lexie

As some of you know, Lexie is not the brightest cat to ever live. Her tail is short, she meows a little funny, and when she's really excited she flips her head upside down.

Well, Lexie also has a pee problem. Beth calls her "Pee Face" now because it was so bad. She was peeing outside her littler box. When I say "peeing outside" I don't mean like a foot from the litter box - I mean peeing on the carpet in our hallway. So as you can imagine, that hasn't gone over well for Beth and me.


The first time we took her to the vet, they thought it could have been a urinary tract infection. We tried some pills and it didn't really change. She was still peeing like a crazy woman right onto our carpet.


The next step was a diffuser that emits a "calming" odor into the room where she pees (because apparently cats get really stressed and could be peeing there because of some kind of anxiety or whatever). Well, that didn't work either.


FINALLY, she's on a form of "kitty prozac" to lower her anxiety levels so she's not scared of the litter box. Well, it's working but not after a few kinks. When we first put her on it, it was half a pill and she was REALLY weird...like hiding behind the couch and being totally anti-social. And she was sleeping all the time. Beth was more worried than I was. I was kind of just happy she wasn't peeing in the hallway! But I started to miss the "normal" Lexie. So the vet told us we could give her 1/4 of a pill and since we've done that, it's been great.


Now, the only thing that sucks is actually giving her the pill. Bless her heart, she has some acne on her chin which then got irritated and bleeds off and on, because it is healing. So now we have to try to shove this pill down her throat every night while trying not to bother her chin in the process (which is hard when she's thrashing her head about trying not to take the pill). The only entertaining part of this whole thing is the process we have...I grab Lexie, Beth gets the pill. I hold Lexie and try to pry her mouth open just enough to leave room for Beth to drop the pill in her mouth. Beth has to support the pill hand with her free hand so her hand doesn't shake. You'd think we were dealing with nuclear waste with how carefully we do this.


Anyways, that's one of the dramatic stories that is currently going on at the Flachson/Watch household. Here are a few pictures of Lexie for your entertainment.


1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm happy to have a hobo cat. Anything that even remotely looks like something Steve can eat, he'll eat. He has UTI problems as well & eats special food all the time to prevent it from returning. When we first started having to give him a pill, I'd shove it in some liverwaurst (sp)& he'd gobble it up, thinking it was food.

One day, I didnt have time for that process, so I put it in his food bowl. He goblled it up. I pretty much could throw it across the room & he'd chase after it and eat it.

We're lucky.